Saturday, April 5, 2008

Spring Broke...

is how I'm usually feeling at the end of spring break. Usually I've spent most of my time sleeping, eating, and wasting time on the Internet, and by the last day, I'm regretful of my choices and anxious to get back into the routine, if only to save me from myself.

This break was different. I visited the wonderful old Southern city of Charleston (to which I'd never been), crammed my head full of history, walked all over the place, took in the sights, enjoyed time with family, finished a book and started on another one, and graded all but one set of papers. It was a wonderful break!

A few pics from our time in Charles Towne (I took very few, as I had forgotten to empty my SDcard before I went and didn't have my USB cable with me):



at The College of Charleston, which I heard one local refer to in passing as "The College" (in a lovely Charleston accent)



















Daddy at the grave of "Our Beloved Pastor" in one of the fascinating old cemeteries


























at the Battery















the amazing Angel Entwife (I mean Angel Oak)










5 comments:

Kevin said...

Congrats on the productive spring break! More importantly, congrats on updating your blog.

Graham said...

Hey, I didn't even try to go to your blog earlier when I was reading others, because yours was after all a cobweb. But then I read that Kevin had commented on "Spring Broke" and I hurriedly went to find what that was all about. The pictures are beautiful and Daddy and I even look pretty good in the graveyard. I'm glad you used the black and white and sepia on some of the pics. We did have a great time and your upbeat mood is very encouraging.

Renee Douglas said...

As I was looking at your pictures (beautiful, I must say) Daniel walked over and started looking too. He said, "Look, it's Mr. Herb!"

Then I showed him the graveyard one and asked him who was in that picture.
"Mr. Herb and . . . who's that?"

Sorry, Ms. Danna, I guess he doesn't know your name.

Then I showed him the one of you. He said, "It's Ms. Saige!" I said, "No, it's Ms. Leah."

"Oh," he said, "Ms. Eda." (just like Aubie used to pronounce your name) So cute.

Anyway, I'm so glad you had such a fun, relaxing and productive break!

Anonymous said...

wow that tree picture is awesome.

"Our Beloved Pastor"--clever.

Anonymous said...

Ah! The Angel Oak, and the corner of King and Queen Streets. Lovely Charleston ... evokes memories of my honeymoon. Thanks for sharing those pics!