Thursday, September 25, 2008

White lady rap

I've warned some of my classes that every time they start to beat on the tables they will be subject to a lame white lady rap. I hadn't had to follow through with my threat until yesterday, when my sixth graders would not stop making beats and quietly mumbling raps. So Mi' D started spitting rhymes:
It's lame, it's lame
Mi' Dean and her rhymes is lame
White lady oughtta feel ashamed
If it weren't for Taylor and James*
Fifth block could be reclaimed
Yes, I know I only rhymed the same sound, but it impressed sixth graders for me to come up with that pretty much on the spot (yeah, I did have the "lame" bit in my head already, but they didn't know that). See, I'm writing...

*my rowdiest students in that class--not an ironic reference to my beloved Mr. Taylor

5 comments:

Graham said...

I love the diamond "D", Miss Dean! I'd like one even if it were just rhinestones.

Glad to see you posting again. No comments, but mine so far; but I bet that's because no one thinks to check this blog because all they think they'll see is "From the Vault."

I love you and enjoyed both your posts! Mom

Anonymous said...

That is really funny. The Voice is having a good influence on you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mi'D:
You got mad skills, yo.

That was pretty clever. Although I'm afraid you did it TOO well and it may not have its intended result.

But at least you were able to have a sense of humor about it and didn't let the beating and tapping drive you nuts.

Hope said...

That is so funny! I could definitely see you doing that:)What a great attitude.

Hope :)

Karen said...

Thanks for explaining the Taylor and James reference. I was thinking, "Huh? How does James Taylor have anything to do with this!?"

I'd quit checking, Leah. Glad to see you back.

Love, Aunt Karen