Monday, December 22, 2008

152 insights

Seeing as I am only on my fortieth post, I have made the decision that I shall end at 152, as I jokingly considered at the onset of this venture. Of course, since it has taken me nearly a year and a half to get just over a fourth of that number, I guess I won't being discontinuing the blog any time soon.

Still, this number gives me a goal to shoot for, an end to anticipate, an inevitably anticlimactic moment to await. Maybe I'll even give away a "You've Got Mail" gift basket to mark the occasion. I'm already planning it:

                • the movie, of course
                • the soundtrack
                • a copy of Pride and Prejudice with a scarlet rose
                • Boy, by Roald Dahl
                • a pop-up dinosaur book
                • hot tea and a mug
                • a small Starbucks gift card
                • Echinacea and Vitamin C
                • Tic-Tacs
                • Scotch tape
                • a bouquet of sharpened pencils
                • daisies or daisy-themed items
                • a box of Kleenex
                • an embroidered handkerchief
                • Anne of Green Gables
                • Blue, by Joni Mitchell, on which "River" appears
                • "twinkle lights" and funky ornaments
                • a mango
                • a Clark bar
                • a lone reed
                • an "I ♥ NY" item
                • a dollar
                • the Shoe books by Noel Streatfeild, except for The Skating Shoes (It really is out of print, and you won't believe how much it costs on Amazon.*)
Okay, so this basket is getting really huge and expensive, but it may be years away, right? Perhaps I'll have married my rich old man by then. Tell me, fellow diehard fans, have I left anything important out? I mean, that's affordable and small? Cans of olive oil are too big, and caviar is, of course, out of the question!


Update: The Skating Shoes is back in print, so that old Amazon link takes you to a paperback for $6.99. Yay!

12 comments:

Heather said...

The basket sounds wonderful. I'm not a die-hard fan, so I can't suggest anything. I just know that whomever wins it in 5 years will be lucky indeed. Perhaps you can start collecting the items now and space out the cost.

Anonymous said...

I have to figure out a way to rig it so that I win that basket! Sounds FANTASTIC! Even worth waiting 5 years for, haha :)

Anonymous said...

I think I've watched that movie 152 times. Enough times that I think you should add caviar garnish, and a gallon of olive oil to your basket. Did your list have twinkle lights as well? If I win that basket, I'll be sure to send you a thank your card.

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty nifty idea, stopping at 152. I like sites and blogs that have a gimmick.

Remember the guy who traded up from a red paper clip to a house?

Anonymous said...

I want that gift basket.

Karen said...

I was going to ask you the significance of all the items to you, but I'm guessing from reading the comments, they are all related to the movie. I obviously need to re-watch it!

Anyway, the basket sounds like a great idea, and I think you will be such a successful writer in 5 years, Eda, that you won't have any problem funding it! xxoo KK

Graham said...

recordings/copies of the "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow" "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and the Christmas-caroling-around-the-piano-song; a book about foxes (Fox Books =); a sticker that says "I Voted!"; something with "Thank your" (don't know how you'll make that interesting); something with an electronic typewriter emblem; an article about Franco - this could turn into 152 things you know?

Graham said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Graham said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

In five years, Meg Ryan will have had who knows how many more plastic surgeries for that formerly-cute face of hers. So, you should definitely include a photo of what Meg Ryan USED to look like in your gift basket!

Oh, and also an AOL disc. ;-)

Leah said...

Great ideas, Kev and Mom, and as I said in the last note, Cherie, the cost of the caviar would be prohibitive. But welcome--glad to meet another big fan. Do you blog?

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

A jar of peppermints. Wasn't that what she was pulling out of her bag and putting into a jar when she was talking in the shop about meeting a guy in a chat room and it being "harmless, harmless, meaningless, meaningless!"

A eucalyptus candle, "because it makes my apartment smell moss-ay."

a little pin of a butterfly and a bumblebee

A copy of the Godfather.

And now I've got something to think on when I lie awake at nights.

I don't know how I ran across your blog, but I had to click over when I saw the name. Great title!