Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Lost, lost, lost...

I've lost my marbles.

Well, not quite, but I'm kind of disturbed. Today I met with a career counselor from the Georgia Department of Labor, and we had a nice talk. She's offered to contact Mercer University Press (where her husband, now a prof at Macon State, once worked) to see if they have anything available. She's also going to work with me on making my resume better, something I've needed to do for some time but haven't really known what direction to take.

Why? Simple enough ... because I don't know where I'm going. I have a great Alice in Wonderland quote on my wall that kind of sums things up:




Lately the running theme at meetings like this one, informational interviews, and even initial job interviews, has been this question, or one like it:

So, Leah, what do you want to do?
"Heck if I know" sounds flighty and just plain sad for someone pushing 30, and it's not quite accurate. It's more like I have 17 possible directions that won't work right this second, at least not in the Middle Georgia area.

Plus a few directions I would have taken years ago if I'd been brave. I'll spare you the YGM quote that comes to mind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now do you mean "heck, if I know, there's not a thing in the world I care about doing for a living all that much." Or do you mean, "heck if I know...nothing that I care about doing is feasible in this area of the state/country!"

If it is the former then I'd say surely there are some things you'd like to do for a living.

But if it is the latter, then I am in the same boat. The things that make me come alive are playing/writing rock music and working on my Mac. Probably not gonna get a lot of hits on Monster.com with those two items.

Anonymous said...

"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life. Well, not small, but valuable. And sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void."

Leah said...

The very same, Z.

It's the latter, of course, Josh. Or, the things I'd like to do are more like avocations or down-the-road plans I want to pursue while taking on the preferred role of wife and mother (which I can't plan for). Like my Pig in a Rose store, that's a someday thing. And writing is something I'll always do. It's the pay-the-bills-in-the-meantime question I'm having trouble answering.

However, I substituted in middle school the other day and remembered how much I liked it. I did my student teaching in 7th grade, and it was always my goal to teach it, but when I had the chance to teach at Northside I took it. I'm thinking I might need to go back to where I lost the plot and at least give my original plan a try before I give up entirely.

Pray for me about that train of thought, if you would. I'll need to keep substituting (and/or some other part-time job) until something opens up, while still looking for other opportunities to emerge.

God is in control.