Saturday, October 27, 2007

Play that tape again...

Last night at my ladies' group we were talking about our recent experience at Tres Dias, some of us as workers, some as attendees. It was awesome to do together what Bobbe, leader of the weekend, said she had done individually all week long: replay the weekend in her mind.

When she used that phrase, the Holy Spirit brought
to mind a particular part of our theme verse for the weekend. Psalm 103:2 says, "Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits" (NIV). I got the picture of me and God viewing a tape of my life. Forgetting not His benefits is like rewinding back to all the best parts--the times He's proven his faithfulness so indisputably, the promises He's fulfilled, the healing He's granted, the truths He's illuminated--and dwelling on them. Everyone who knows me well has heard me quote lines (repeatedly!) from You've Got Mail, Pride and Prejudice, and Sabrina. I rewind to those funny or poignant moments I love time and time again. As Christians, we're called to do that with the moments of our lives, offering them back to God in praise, repeating them to others as testimonies of His grace.

I believe the Father loves it when we come to Him, childlike, and say, "Daddy, 'member dat time...?" Of course He remembers, but isn't it fun to tell those old stories? There's no quicker way to build faith than to replay the tape.

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him; How I've proved Him o'er and o'er!
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus! O for grace to trust Him more!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too true, Leah. That's part of the reason I love Sovereign Grace songs. They are so cross-centered and it is wonderful to compare what my life was pre-Christ and then see how far He has brought me.

Hmmm...I gotta go. I'm gonna go rewind the tape again.

Steve said...

You know, in many ways, one of the modern age's most tragic casualties is the story of remembrance passed around in one generation and down to the next. That's what testimonies are all about, I suppose.

Kevin said...

Too often, we're preoccupied with the trials of "now" to remember and thank God for his grace and guidance "then." I know I'm guilty of doing this quite a bit.

I propose a project for us all to participate in on our respective blogs: write a post detailing a time in our lives where God's grace or helping hand was most evident.

I'll try to get us all started by writing something on my blog tomorrow.

Renee Douglas said...

This morning I came across a quote by George McDonald who said, "No gift unrecognized as coming from God is at its own best: therefore many things that God would gladly give us, things even that we need because we are, must wait until we ask for them, that we may know whence they come: when in all gifts we find Him, then in Him we shall find all things."

We should live a lives full of remembrance and thankfulness for the things that God has done. When we do so, he will be glorified, we will have a testimony of his love and provision, and we will find ourselves closer to Him.

Good suggestion, Kevin. I'll work on a new post too!